Tuesday 29 January 2013

Day 3: Mont Blanc tunnel, Cascate Di Lillaz and creation of Team extreme

Woke up to some fantastic snowy scenes in Chamonix today which just cemented our decision to go to Italy to climb instead. A not to early start today, breakfast at 7.30 and meeting in the lounge for the day ahead at 8.30am. We drove into Chamonix centre to pick up a few things first, climbing boots and other necessities like snacks and stuff. Brioche for me... Yum yum. Then off we went in the van, heading for the Mont Blanc tunnel, again another thing I was really excited about getting to do. that's the thing with tunnels though, even ones as awesome as this one, after 5 minutes, it gets a bit boring and you just want to see the other side. Eventually we emerge from the tunnel and were greeted by such an awesome view of the gnarley face of Mont Blanc. It looks as impressive as I imagined it would.

After about 90 minutes driving we arrive in Cogne, kit up and walk on up to Cascate Di Lillaz where we 3, Andy, Ben and I become Cascatisti (ice climbers). We arrive at the base of the climbs and Andy takes up through all the stuff we need to know and gives us some time to practise with one of my favourite tasks in climbing... Traversing. Then we move off to the real climbs and Andy dos the honours by leading the route and setting up a top rope for Ben and I to have a practise on. The 1st climb was a little tricky and a bit scary at parts but its good to get that adrenaline going and before I knew it, I was on the route for a 2nd time, feeling more confident and sure of my placements.

Then we moved on to something a tad more exciting and a lot longer, eventually climbing into the sunshine. At first it was a little tricky with lots of high axe placements but then it became a joy to just be swinging and kicking and hearing the best noise as the axe makes a solid placement 1st time... Thunk.

The last route of the day was a grade 3 with a walk off the top to finish. I'm last up the route, feeling totally alone and a little unsure, I take my time and work out the most efficient way I can to get around the hard bits, removing the screws as I go and making sure I take advantage of any good rests I can find. Finally I arrive at the top with a giant smile... I survived my first day. love it!!!

A short drive takes up to Valnontey where our accommodation is, hotel la Barme. A charming little place, in a valley about 1700m above sea level. We get our rooms sorted, have a drive in the bar before filling our bellies with a monster dinner which I found impossible to finish. We then decided to have a wee chit chat and relax in the bar but everyone was starting to get really tired. So completely out if character for me, I headed to bed early. Packed my bag for the morning and curled up in my bed. Most people won't believe me when I say this but The last time I saw before I passed out was 10.50pm. I think I passed out shortly after. Probably the earliest I have fell asleep for years without being ill... The sign of a good day and taking in the rest for another one tomorrow. Indeed!

S xx

















No comments:

Post a Comment